Thursday 5 December 2013

5 Beautiful Reasons to Enjoy Winter

It is easy to be happy in the summer with all it's sunshine and warmth and easy living.  I live in a part of the world where in the winter it is not unusual to wake up to -29 degrees Celsius (that's about -20 Fahrenheit to my American readers) that is actually -42 when one factors in the windchill.  Finding beauty takes effort on days like this. 

1. Snow.  It's a barrier for wheelchairs and other devices people use for mobility and it's cold.  However, a few blog posts ago I wrote about the incredible photography of Alexey Kljatov, (ChaoticMind75) whose pictures of individual snowflakes will not only take your breath away, but make you never look the same way at snow again.  Furthermore, on the right evening, when the sky is clear, a particular shade of dark-denim blue, and sprinkled with stars, I will think of my friend, Kara, and how when we once lived together, we made an adventure out of shoveling snow together.  And I always smile.

2. Lights.  They may be one of the things that most people, despite their religious or non-religious backgrounds.  Lights shining out on dark, cold nights reflect hope and generally just make people feel better.

3. Sledding.  Not my thing, but it is for my kid.  She lives to sled.

4. Soup.  And hot chocolate, hot apple cider, stews, pans of lasagne, mandarin (when I was a kid we called them "zipper" oranges, and cookies. 

5. People.  It is just a personal theory but I think winter may bring out the best in us.  Many people try to be happier and more generous during this time of year.  It is as though winter, in it's challenging weather, reminds us of all the things we are thankful for and this gratitude encourages reaching out to others who have less to appreciate.  Because for some, it doesn't matter whether it is Christmas or Kwanza or Chanukah or Winter Solstice, they are still hungry or depressed or poor - or all 3.  Winter can help us remember that we are all in this life together and that we need to take care of each other.

I'm sure there are a lot more reasons, but like I said, beauty takes effort on days like this.

wishing you your own beautiful reasons to enjoy winter,
hk

No comments:

Post a Comment