Thursday 16 January 2014

The Beauty of Slowing Down

 Time is the coin of your life.  
It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent.  
~ Carl Sandberg

If you are a regular reader of this blog (and I thank you if you are), then you might have noticed that I have not written in a few weeks. The reason is not writer's block or depression or that I have given up on finding beauty every day. It is, very simply, that I have been busy. There was Christmas, a notable anniversary in my family, projects with strict deadlines to finish, health concerns that needed my attention, and kid's activities. You know, busy stuff.

At first I was anxious when I realized so much time was passing where I was not writing any blog posts, but I also realized that feeling anxious about it did not serve me well at all and I then decided to just give myself a break.  After all, I wrote 80 + essays last year.

Those 80+ essays have reached so many people and helped me remember why I love the Internet. I love having readers from every continent and I enjoy Facebook for keeping the relationships I would otherwise have difficulty maintaining. Sometimes though, the Internet moves too fast for me. I have yet to "get" Twitter - the play by play action makes me weary. It just seems to yell at me to hurry up! catch up! go faster!

I think many people with mobility disabilities have issues with time and the "normal" pace of life.  It takes us longer to get things done and we use more energy in the extra time to get those things done.  It is often tough for us to hurry up, catch up, and go faster in many daily activities, from getting in and out of a vehicle to using the bathroom.

It is probably no coincidence then, how I tend to appreciate show things.  Like bread that takes the better part of a day to properly rise twice and braised ribs that require hours to become fall apart tender.  Like writing and receiving a hand written letter instead of a text to the time it takes to think about a response to a question instead of answering right away. Like sitting around a table with friends and sharing a leisurely meal and listening to an entire LP - an actual concept album that tells a story.

Thank you for being patient with me while I took a little time out.

wishing you the discovery of finding beauty while slowing down,
hk


2 comments:

  1. That Twitter can be a monster. You get hooked on it, start seeing opportunities, be they coupons or giveaways or information that you want to have the first word on, and you start to fear missing those things. I'm coming out of that phase and try to only skim Twitter 4-8 times per day. That may seem like a lot but when it used to be every 15 minutes it is definitely cutting down.

    The same could be said for Facebook or Instagram. Facebook I have been far less interested in lately but I do find myself checking Instagram more frequently. Usually winter is when I am more social media hungry but this year seems different. I'm not certain of all of the reasons, but I do think I am aware of a few.

    At any rate, we are glad to have you back and look forward to what you have to say in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Maybe you need to give a Twitter Tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete