Thursday 30 May 2013

You will never know how much

"There's a lot of beauty in ordinary things.  Isn't that kind of the point?"

This was the last line, uttered by Pam, in the American version of "The Office" season finale.  She's right.

This morning I watched an ordinary and beautiful scene unfold before me while I was stopped at a red light.  I watched a mom and her daughter cross the street together on what I assume was on their way to school.  They hugged (the mom hugged with both arms, the daughter with just one) and although I didn't hear exactly what she said as the daughter walked away, I imagine it was, "Be careful.  Watch out for cars!  Don't be late!"  The daughter, pulling her backpack snug across her shoulders, walked confidently away down the street and the mom just stood on the corner, watching her.  I rolled down my window just in time to hear her shout, "I love you!" and then quietly to herself, "You will never know how much."

My light changed and I had to proceed, but when I looked in my rear view mirror, I saw her still standing there, probably watching until she could not see her daughter anymore.

Parenting is hard, even though it is full of beautiful moments.  That mom, like most parents, wanted to enclose her girl in a protective bubble with her hug and her words but in the end she had to let her go.  I felt privledged to have witnessed this beautiful parenting moment, in all its vulnerability.

wishing you beauty in ordinary things,
hk






No comments:

Post a Comment