Sunday 10 November 2013

Cooking and Writing - It's All The Same

Canadian Chef Michael Smith spoke at Saskatoon's Word on the Street Literary Festival this fall.  He spoke passionately about food, about real, beautiful, home-cooked food made with creativity, fun, and love.  When I lined up to meet him and ask if he would sign my cookbook, I told him how I really heard his message because I seem to be cooking ALL the time - for my family, my family's friends, the neighbours, for whomever pops by.  I am happy doing this, but I also told him that as a writer, I am afraid that the cooking is interfering with my writing. 

This seemed to resonate with him.  Now, Michael Smith is a very tall man.  Sitting in my wheelchair, I am a very short woman.  However, he squatted lower and leaned in to look me square in the face and he told me clearly that it is - the cooking and the writing - all the same thing.  It is all creativity.  He told me he thinks I am likely a better writer because of how I cook and vice versa.  One feeds the other. I left energized, validated in my life choices.  Today, I was reminded as to why I think he is right.

My energy was low today.  I was not feeling the spark of anything creative.  It is cold outside and I would like to get under the covers and sleep.  I tried not to worry about it; low energy days happen. However, as my husband and daughter layered up and headed out to go sledding at the park, I thought that on a day as cold as this it would be nice for them to come home to hot chocolate.  I did not have any pre-packaged mix anywhere, so I thought I would make something up.  Chef Smith would want me to improvise, be creative I told myself.  I've made hot chocolate from scratch before but it has been a long time.  What emerged is beautiful, the best I have tasted in probably, well, ever.  And I want to share this joy with you.

Warm about 3 cups of milk in a saucepan.  Add 4 and a half ounces of chopped unsweetened chocolate, about 2/3 cup of sugar, and approximately 1/3 of semisweet chocolate chips.  Whisk until blended.  Add a healthy glug of vanilla extract and a teaspoon of cinnamon.  And oh yes, I added the leftover coffee from the french press we made this morning.  You can use whatever combination of ingredients you choose.  Improvise.  Be creative. Drink heartily. Share with others. 

Thanks for helping me find my spark today, Chef Smith. You are right.  It is all the same thing.

wishing you the spark of something beautiful,
hk




2 comments:

  1. How lovely. I always enjoy when Angie makes things like that from scratch. We will definitely have to try your recipe but maybe with a modification of a touch of Kahlua.

    That man sounds like a deep thinker and definitely one I'd like to meet. He's my favourite chef. And the creativity does transfer from one to the other but often when I'm creating in the kitchen I'd rather be creating in the studio. I'm sure it's that way for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jason. I always feel my best when I am creating something, whatever that something may be. I know you are the same. I feel very lucky to have had this conversation with Chef Michael - it was pretty intense! :D

    ReplyDelete