Tuesday 30 April 2013

Chocolate cake

My mother-in-law is a stellar baker.  She can bake anything, and she does: sky-high angel food slathered with mountainous peaks of seven minute icing, burnt sugar chiffons that melt in your mouth, overnight buns that are light as a feather, to name just a few.

She recently made her son, my husband, a chocolate chiffon birthday cake, thickly covered in rich chocolate icing.  I'm telling you, it is good.  Maybe it is because I am a tad hormonal, maybe it is because I am on the end of recovering from two nasty viruses where I haven't been able to eat much, or maybe it is just because it is so moist and chocolatey, but I can hardly stand to leave this cake alone.  I can't help but think of Miranda from Sex in the City, who once dumped a chocolate cake that was haunting her into the garbage...then took a fork and ate it straight out of the can.

It's been a challenging time for me and my body lately, and if I really think about it, that beautiful 5" high chocolate cake represents comfort.  As in, when I eat it, I feel comforted, like someone or something is taking care of me.  Which is ridiculous because that is the last thing that chocolate cake does.  It is full of sugar and butter and is definitely not good for me.  "Oh, but it is good for my soul," I tell my inner Miranda Hobbs.

Then the shoulds come.  The "I should know better.  I should be more disciplined.  I should eat an apple.  I should just get one of the kids to hide it up high and not tell me where."  They have to do this with potato chips anyway...oh, what is wrong with me?!

Sigh.  Maybe nothing.  What I have decided is that this is just one day and I am allowed one day of chocolate cake fantasies.  So are we all.  For one day it is okay to ignore the Pinterest postings about getting that bikini body, and the Dr. Oz's warnings about inactivity, and the zillion other messages about food, fat, health, and these messed up ideas about beauty. 

I know one thing for sure.  That chocolate cake is some kind of beautiful. 

wishing you just one slice.  Or maybe two,
hk

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks and sounds wonderful. Home-made chocolate cake cannot be matched and this one is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was wonderful, Bobbi. I have learning to bake like this on my "bucket list."

    ReplyDelete