Wednesday 9 October 2013

Lennon's legacy


John Lennon was born on this day in 1940. He was, of course, one of the Beatles, as well as a songwriter, musician, artist, and peace activist.   He was known as the "smart Beatle" and he was outspoken, witty, clever, and beautifully gifted.  Although he was murdered in December of 1980, his musical and peace-loving legacies live on.

How fortunate he was to have left such a long-lasting legacy.  Perhaps it has something to do with my recent birthday causing me to reflect on what I hope one day my own legacy will be, but this idea of leaving a stamp behind once I am gone has been on my mind.  At some point, I think it is something many of us consider: "Am I enriching lives?" "Is it clear what I believe in and what I support?" And, "Am I making a difference?" 

John Lennon led a complicated life in many ways; he, like all of us, made mistakes.  He was also incredibly self-aware and tuned in to what really matters in life.  He saw that in a world that has so much violence, despair, and injustice, that we need beauty more than ever.  He was awake to what was beautiful in this life and passed it on.  He had faith in people, and wanted us to know: 

"Remember love. The only hope for any of us is peace...
You're all geniuses and you're all beautiful. 
You don't need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. 
You are what you are."

wishing you the belief that you are all geniuses and you are all beautiful,
hk


No comments:

Post a Comment