Wednesday 4 September 2013

Beautiful Books

I know.  It's been awhile.  Thanks for being patient with me.

I don't know about you folks but the summer is always busier than I expect it will be.  For our family, there were camps to attend, vegetables to grow, company to feed, books to read, home projects to start and finish, and people to visit.  For me, I did some writing on my next book and some reflecting and planning about where I want this blog to go.  You see, when I started this blog, I did it on a bit of a whim.  I was looking for two things: a means to push myself to write more often, and as a means to work through some difficult times I was having.  Finding perspective on how precious and beautiful life truly is helped pull me back towards the light.  I did not expect to have readers from all over the world, or such a demand for the stories I told. Thank you, dear readers, you humble me.

Beauty, I decided this summer, is still an important theme to me.  In a process that is not unlike a marriage vow renewal, I have re-committed to Uncovering Beauty in the every day.  That beauty, however, may come out in different forms in this blog than just my stories - possibly a recipe, a song, or a photograph - but the stories will still come too, I promise.  It is just that Beauty is everywhere!

That said, today I am compelled to write about my new library.  We installed IKEA Billy Bookcases into our living space, and we are adding trim and molding to make them look "built in."  This cost a fraction of having them built, my husband installed them in a few hours, and it was painless enough that the divorce papers did not come out even once.  Staring at it now, it is a dream come true for me, someone who has always loved to read.  What I did not expect though, was how organizing our collection of books would inspire me.  With every book I touched and categorized (classics, non-fiction, spirituality, young adult, kid's literature, disability, cooking, First Nations, history, sport, etc.) I re-visited the influence it made on me, and where and who I was when I first read it.  When I was finished (this took much longer than the actual installation of the shelves), I reflected again on what these books say about each of my family members individually, and what they say about us as a collective.  It was a happy, affirming project that left me feeling more grounded and secure in myself than I have in some time.

You will see some empty spaces.  That means we are not finished of course.  None of us ever really are, right?  Aren't our homes and we supposed to be continual works of art, beautiful projects that need continual overhauling or pruning or smoothing?  Just like aspects of ourselves, this library will see parts discarded, recycled, re-purposed, and added to when the time is right.

Wishing you the beauty of an on-going project,
hk

4 comments:

  1. Those look great, Heather. What they represent looks even better.

    I read a lot but so much of it is fleeting in the form of blog posts or articles the get buried by the next article very quickly. I learn what I learn from what I read, save the best in Evernote, but seldom return to an article.

    Physical books are beautiful and becoming more valuable all the time. I find myself holding off reading the ones I have, saving the best for last, once all of the online content is consumed. Except that it is never ending and I seem to forget that the physical books can be reread and often contain the best information as their authors have saved their best for the salable content.

    Excuse me, please. I'm going outside to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason, thank you for your thoughts. And here I thought the photographer in you would see the photo of my little library and scold me for its crookedness! Ha! Never fail, Darrell already did.

    I agree with your thoughts with my whole heart. I can get sidetracked by too many online articles and blog posts too. There is just so much to read and learn out there in the virtual world - one reason why I love the Internet.

    Another bonus. Darrell and I are blessed with kids who are great readers, but once the library went up, so did their interest. And the more they see Darrell and I with books in our hands, the more we them with books in theirs. I read a quote once that said (I'm paraphrasing): you will not be your children's only influence, but you will be their biggest one.

    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I wouldn't criticize a snapshot like that. Now, if that bookcase had deep roots and immeasurable value I would say you should call me to come make an amazing artistic photograph out of it. :-) Sometimes a snapshot is just what you need.

      I remember, and still experience, the excitement of seeing shelves and shelves of books and wondering what to grab first. The trouble is sticking with it. I'm terrible for reading a book to within the last two chapters and then losing interest. The exception being when it is something very exciting. A person really needs to set aside time to read that can only be rescheduled for the most important of unplanned events.

      The quote you mentioned is so true. Turn off the worst influence, television, and spend time together. As much as Angie and I are glued to our computers a lot we do make time to spend together and converse without those distractions.

      Delete