Thursday 5 September 2013

Beautiful Kale


Let me tell you about another beautiful thing, readers.  It’s Kale.  Yes that capital K is intentional.

I know what you are thinking.  Kale, schmale.  Why do we keep hearing about kale (small k)?  Let me tell you why. 

It’s delicious.  It is easy to grow.  It is one of the “healthiest foods of all time,” according to Time magazine (What to Eat Now issue, 2013).  “Kale is a cruciferous vegetable, a cancer fighter that is full of fiber and antioxidants.  It is rich in vitamin K, which aids in blood clotting and cell growth.”  And did I mention it is delicious?  You can barbecue it with a little olive oil and salt; prepared this way and roasted, you can it like chips; you can add it to a salad.  And even if you don’t think it is delicious (although it is, really), here’s the thing: you can hide it in stuff!  It disappears and the health benefits remain!

Proof:
Yes, that's about 3/4 cup of kale in my delicious smoothie, (just before I whizzed it), right alongside the raspberries from my mother's garden, some canned peaches (she helped me can those peaches - a good mom), carrots, greek yogurt, and although you can't see it, ground flaxseed.  A very happy smoothie.  Sweet.  Delicious. Beautiful. 

More proof, and made in the same day:
I put some kale in my (award-winning) chili.  Yes, I sure did.  It's the green flecks you see that make this chili look especially pretty.  Chili that made my family happy yesterday.  Delicious.  Beautiful.

Kale.  With a capital K.

wishing you happy taste buds and delicious, beautiful health,
hk


2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed kale when we've had it, but found it a bit pricey for good, young, organic kale. When not grown in the garden, where do you source yours, Heather?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, organic baby Kale is nice!

    I am lucky to grow many of my own vegetables and have pretty much unlimited access to my mom's and my mother-in-law's big gardens (I think of them as our own farmer's market), and I will buy organic produce when I can, but when I can't, vegetables purchased at the grocery store will do just fine, including Kale.

    ReplyDelete