Monday 23 September 2013

Beautiful Pulses

Yesterday, I had the great pleasure of listening to Chef Michael Smith speak at Saskatoon's Word on the Street Book and Magazine Festival.  He had a lot of important and inspired things to say about food and cooking, some of the messages I will bring to this blog over the next while, and I was lucky to continue the conversation with him later on when he signed my copy of his latest cookbook, Back to Basics

Just one message he had for the audience is that Canada is the number 1 export of pulses in the world.  Working with Saskatchewan Pulse Growers, he explained that pulses - lentils, chickpeas, peas - are low fat and high fibre and they make up into delicious recipes.  The list of benefits is extensive.  According to the Saskatchewan Pulse Growers website (www.saskpulse.com), pulses lower blood cholesterol, making them heart healthy while regular consumption of pulses also helps manage blood sugar levels. The high fibre and protein found in pulses works to curb hunger, assisting with weight management.  They make other foods, like ground meat, stretch - a big consideration for families.  They are inexpensive, which is good for everyone.  The world loves our beautiful pulses, but how many of us are cooking with them?

Well, I am, or at least I am trying to.  This is my red lentil chili.  I am quite proud (read: vain) about my chili, so this is a departure for me, a bit of a risk.  I used an onion, some garlic, ground turkey, canned tomatoes (thanks, Mom!), a little leftover pumpkin that would have otherwise spoiled in the fridge, some vegetable stock, a bit of molasses (Ack! I'm giving away my secrets!), the usual chili spices (cumin, coriander, chili powder, etc.) and a cup of red lentils.  It's bubbling away and I have high expectations.  I will be feeding a house full of critics later, so I will let you know how it turns out.

wishing you the beauty of taking your own risks,
hk

2 comments:

  1. I love incorporating lentils where I can. One of our favourite dishes is our daal.

    And as for your chili secrets, we use one squirt of ketchup for the sweetness & vinegar unless brown beans in tomato sauce are in the mix. They add enough of those essentials for our taste. And don't forget the chipotle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daal is gooood! I need to learn to make it.
    And never fear, the chipotle is not forgotten! :) It's a staple!

    ReplyDelete